The 'spots' on your knife are caused by flash rust. This form of rust can have various causes:
- Prolonged contact with moisture, water, acids or salt.
- Contact with other steels.
- Contact with rust on other items, e.g., a rusty peeler in the same dishwasher.
- Not immediately removed food residue on your knife after use.
- The composition of the detergent and the dosage of any salt and rinse aid in the dishwasher.
- Keeping the cutlery moist.
You can easily remove this rust yourself with a soft cloth and a cleaning agent especially for steel or stainless steel.
Articles in this section
- Should I wash my knives after sharpening?
- How do I use the in-block corner sharpener?
- Should I sharpen all my knives?
- Can I put the knife block in the dishwasher?
- My knife is dull, how do I get my knife sharp again?
- There is rust on my KitchenAid knife, what can I do about it?
- Can I put my KitchenAid knife in the dishwasher?